Monday, January 2, 2012

DAY # 22 Keep Apples From Turning Brown

I was really wanting to use apples for my other New Year's Eve dessert dip but knew that i would have to slice them a few hours before and was NOT looking forward to serving everyone brown apples, so......i went in search of a way to keep them from turning brown.  After a few minutes of searching Pinterest, i had my answer  :)

Apparently you can soak freshly sliced apples in lemon water, salt water, Sprite, or Ginger Ale and they won't turn brown  :)

HERE is the original pin.

I chose the salt water option as it guaranteed that it wouldn't change the flavor of my apples and it's what i had on hand.  It said to mix 1/2 tsp of salt to every 4 cups of cold water.  So with 4 apples, i went with 8 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt.  I sliced my first apple with the slicer, then sliced those slices into thirds with a knife.


I placed the slices from the first apple into the water mixture and worked on apple number 2.  When i was finished, i placed those slices in with the slices from the first apple.  I let them soak for 4 minutes (it said to be careful not to over soak). 



I pulled those apples out and put them into the strainer.  I gave them a quick rinse with cold water and put them onto a paper towel to dry a bit.  I then placed them into a large zip lock baggie and squirted a tiny bit on lime juice into the bag.  I tossed the apples around a bit, squeezed the air out of the bag and zipped it shut.  I then repeated the steps with the last 2 apples and added them into the bag when done.  I placed them into the refrigerator and served them about 6 hours later.  After serving, the plate set out for another 2 hours and my apples remained "brown free" and crisp  :)  YAY!



Doesn't this look GOOD!  Look on post # 23 for the recipe  :)

???  Pinterest Win / Pinteres Fail  ???
A Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment